Princess School in Dorf                                                                  Home | Sponsors 2013 | Find Dorf Gl Skole | About the Gamle Skole | Gallery

Dorf Gl. School

The Danish Princess Sophie Hedevig (1667-1735) was known as a gifted person with a gentle nature. As a pietist, she wanted common children to be taught in the Christian faith and believed that education was the path to prosperity. She owned Dronninglund Castle from 1716 to 1730 and by statute in August 1719 she declared that seven schools would be built in Dronninglund parish and the school in Dorf was one of them. Sophie Hedevig often visited the schools, which are today known as the Princess schools. The school buildings were well built, with a classroom in the west and teacher housing in the east. The teachers were well paid at 20 rigsdaler a year,  as well as material goods from the castle. A few years later, the princess' brother, King Frederik IV, created his 240 rider schools based on the same model.

Dorf school had many students over the years. 100 children came to school in two shifts daily during the tenure of the last two teachers. With the Education Act in 1937, the municipality decided to build a new school just north of the existing building. Construction began in 1942 but stopped because of the war. The Germans moved into the old school and housed first Russian, then Hungarian soldiers until May 1945. During this period, school classes were relocated to the community centre. After the war, the new school was completed and the old princess school converted to teacher housing. The municipality sold the old school to the current owner in 1966.

A fire in October 1980 caused extensive damage. It

was extremely difficult to put out the fire because under the old cement roof tiles was a shingle roof with a layer of tarred boards. Only the nearly 300 year old half-meter thick walls and the old fruit trees on the south wall survived the fire. The house was rebuilt in 1981 with minor architectural style changes such as a small eaves and a 6 bay skylight.

Since 1990, the tapestry weaver Ragnhild Kjølberg has arranged chamber music concerts of high quality in her home, inspired by a deep joy of old and new classical music. The cozy atmosphere, the high quality and proximity to the musicians all contribute to the old school's good reputation as a concert venue, highlighted by the award of Nordjyllands Music Prize 2002 among other accolades.

The house rests in an old garden with four terrace levels adjacent to a fish ladder and the beautiful Mill Pond. In 2005-6, the third terrace was converted to an organic self-cleaning pond pool.

Dorf Watermill

In 1664, the shank mill belonged Hundslund Monastery (Dronninglund), a Benedictine abbey founded in the 1200s. It is likely that the nuns built a watermill at Dorf earlier than in the 1600s when the Benedictines built several water mills at their monasteries.

Dorf Watermill is first mentioned in the cadastre in 1664. The watermill had one grinder and included a small farm.

In the 1688 cadastre it is written: "The mill is driven by surface water, which is concentrated in forest streams and can mill in both summer and winter except in drought and frost."

The miller owed ten barrels of flour per year to the master and mistress of Dronninglund Castle. It was a good mill, because in 1761 the lords required 150 rigsdaler when a new miller came.

In 1833 the mill came under private ownership. There were good times for the mill in the 19th century. The local peasants raised more livestock, and they gradually began to grind grain for feeding the animals.

The water mill has two mills, a pellet mill, and the "hvæger" for meal preparation.

In 1922,  the water wheel was replaced with a turbine, which drives a power system for lighting in the water mill and the mill farm.

The water mill was used until 1963. The turbine system was replaced by municipal power in 1995.

Dorf Mill Farm

The quadrangular mill farm was built in 1914-25. The farm has remained largely unchanged since 1925 and until the last owner died in 1996.

The mill farm has now been converted into a museum that displays mill life in the farmhouse, and in the outbuildings visitors can see an exhibition on hunting and forestry in Northern Jutland.

Dorf Windmill 

In 1887, the miller built a windmill to be used as a backup mill when there was heavy frost and drought. The turbine was used until 1952.

Today, the windmill is a working museum mill that mills grain.

Dorf Mill Pond

A nature trail has been established in the protected forrest around the mill pond.